07 september 2012

Tour of the space station

So, I went on a tour of the International Space Station today, and from there I saw the Grand Canyon. Yeah, so far I like my job.

I didn't actually leave the Netherlands unfortunately, but I did go here. We got to see a "small" scale version of ISS, an actual Foton capsule which has been in space and some other stuff, but by far the best part of the tour was the Virtual Reality tour of ISS. A quite neat 3D animation (viewed with 3D glasses, of course) showed the station from any angle, and walked us through its inside, and the 3D photos were really amazing. The speed of the space station means that if you take pictures from the same point on ISS down towards the Earth twice in quick succession you get stereo photos, and can make 3D pictures. The result was kinda breathtaking, to say the least.

I feel a little bit like I'm too easily impressed, but damnit, it is awesome. A 3D picture of the Grand Canyon as seen from space? Come on!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar